Skip to main content

Weeding through Publishers with a Fine-Edged Machete

In a previous post, I submitted a link to a list of publishers at http://myperfectpitch.com. It's a great resource that seems to be kept up to date. You can also narrow down the list by searching genre, which I did.

The returned list of approx. 35 fantasy publishers included companies from the UK, Canada and the US. Almost all were active, and were accepting submissions. Awesome stuff. So, the next step was for me to match myself to the perfect publisher for my book.

Clicking the links took me directly to the submissions page, which is very convenient. This page always provides all of the important details for authors on word count, formatting, submission requirements etc. However, I quickly learned that I needed to look at the publisher's entire site in detail for a number of reasons listed below:

Book Covers

  • cheap looking novel covers (cartoonish)
  • out-dated looking novel covers (1950/60 style)
  • novel covers with poor layout design (basics of design elements no evident)
  • female protagonists displayed sexually (4 out of 5 novels and fifth female was 1/2 size of male, slung unconscious and helpless in his arms)
Books Published

  • minimal number of published books (even less in fantasy category)
  • books not available on Amazon.ca
  • books formatted in publisher's version of an ereader (limiting)
  • books with almost no reviews on Amazon.ca or Goodreads (easy for a publisher to do)
  • books with poor coverage in media (see news page of site)
  • books not compatible with my novel (I really, really wanted to submit to Arthur Levine (publisher of Harry Potter), however "The Precious Quest" is not a good match with what Levine publishes.
Rights and Royalties
  • 30% of ebooks? Not enough to sign away all rights.
  • 50% of ebooks? Better, but still want print too.
  • 15% of print? I don't think so! Consider this. If the publisher sells 1000 books, I will earn $150. If I self publish at Mill City Press, they take 0% royalty once I pay set-up and printing costs which work out to approx $4 per book. If I sell my books for $14, I get $10 per book, which means I would only have to sell 15 books to get the same $ as the publisher who offers 15%. If I put my book on Amazon, I'd have to pay trade discounts of 30-55%, but even then, I would only have to sell 30 books to make $150. Read more about royalty calculations here http://www.millcitypress.net/book-publishing-royalties-compared
Publisher Experience
  • Many, many new publishers
  • Many publishers half my age (I sound like my mother)
  • Many publishers with little experience in publishing
  • Many publishers with a lot of traditional publishing experience but no knowledge or acceptance of social media, the 21st century ... etc.
Sad to say. Not one of the 35 publishers matched up to me or my novel manuscript. Now what? Back to google searches. And next? I need to go find a discussion group that is talking about publishers. This is just too complicated to do alone.




    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    How to Use MS OneNote to Organize Writing Research and Novel Outlines for Writers

    Let’s Get Organized  Writers take a gazillion notes.   I don’t have to tell you this, because you know all about it. You also know how difficult it is to organize notes, search through paper notes, and sometimes even find all the notes you've written.  In this day and age, going digital is the best way to keep track of your notes. If organized properly, digital notes are sortable, searchable, editable, accessible from anywhere, and light as a feather to carry around. In this blog, I'm going to show you how to be note-efficient. ____________________________________________________ The following is an excerpt from "Technology #WritingTips for Writers". First 100 subscribers at http://www.cherylcowtan.com get a free copy at book launch. _____________________________________________________ The first step in getting note-efficient is finding the right software. For writers, finding a software that will meet all of our needs is like trying to pick

    First Steps in the Scrivener Waltz

    1-2-3, 1-2-OMG! I finally did it. I purchased Scrivener. Now I have to hold onto my self-worth as I try to wrap my brain around the interface. I keep telling myself, so many experts can't be wrong , right? Surely, when I've mastered this program, I'll come out on top. On top meaning I will have a tool that will give me more functionality, save me more time, and overall, make me a more organized and efficient writer. Currently, I'm doing pretty good with a combination of MS Word and Excel, so this baby better be awesome to convince me to convert for long term.  So I start to learn it like I learn all things - jumping in with both feet. Click, click, click, click.... cli... That didn't work. So basically, I've purchased the Scrivener software that experts are saying is functionally amazing, but its user interface is so non-intuitive, I can't figure it out, and I used be an Internet Business Consultant. Surely my skills aren't that rusty.

    When Others Steal Your Work - The Margaret Keane story "Big Eyes"

    "If you want me out of your life, you'll have to paint me 100 more waifs--100 more Keanes". How does it happen? How can someone take over your art, your heart's-work, and pass it off as their own and you just let it happen? If you've ever wondered how people get themselves stuck in situations that don't serve them, and often harm them, you need to watch the movie "Big Eyes" on Netflix. The film is based on the true story of Margaret Keane, artist of the "big eyes" waif portraits. For 10 years, her husband claimed he was the artist who created her work, and though he couldn't paint, he was a genius salesman and was able to make quite a bit of money and gain a lot of fame through his sales skills. Walter never painted a thing. His wife produced all the paintings for him to sell, often working herself to sleep in a small studio in their house. Even Margaret's daughter was lied to. The film succeeds, for me, in the way it s